Skip to main content

Yes I hear the drums!


Its almost a month since I've come to Melbourne. And a day and a month since I left Lanka. So far, I'm not complaining :)
So anyway the first thing people here say when I say my name - my surname - that is - "Can you hear the drums?"
At first I was like "Huh?" with this extremely confused look on my face, by which time they would explain about this. :D Of course silly me.

One of the best things about Melbourne is that its so multi cultural. Frankly I think everyone should come to Melbourne - at least for a few days! - just for that multi cultural experience. Some people could really learn a thing or two on tolerance and ethnic diversity.

Oh and the moon looks weird here. Bigger. I don't know why that is. Hmm

The worst thing is the weather. Being autumn, its getting very windy and cold. Even though 14 C is not supposed to be that cold - somehow it is. Only good thing about it is that I treated myself to new (and my first!) boots :D

I have used all three (tram,bus,train) methods of public transport now :) and its quite convenient when compared to the Lankan system. For instance, you can log on to their website and plan your journey online by giving details of your destination and where you're starting from.

People kept trying to give me free Footy tickets to MCG and I keep saying no :) Apparently La Trobe uni's giving away 10,000 tickets to International students. Haha they're all Footy mad here - even babies are dressed in team colours!

As for my work - well its early days yet and apparently the first year of PhD is called the 'honeymoon year' Hehe. Reading reading and more reading is what I'm doing mostly.

Which reminds me...should probably get back to that utterly incomprehensible journal paper...Ahh the joys of research :)

Comments

  1. Hey, good to hear from you Fernando :)

    14 C? that's nothing. wait till it goes below zero. I'm not sure whether Aussie winter is that harsh or not. You can find out and let us know.

    Enjoy the reading... :D
    TC

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pervert පොසම් සහ හොර පොසම්

ඔස්ට්‍රේලියාවට වසන්ත ඍතුව එළෙඹෙන කාලය යි මේ. අපේ ගෙවත්තේ පිටුපස පීච් ගහම රෝස පාට මල්වලින් පිරිලා. හරියට මේ වගේ .... (img  commons.wikimedia.org ) තව පහු වෙනකොට ඔය පීච් ගහේ ගෙඩි එනවා ය. ඊට පස්සේ එව්වා අපිට රස බලන්න නම් හොර පොසම්ලා ට එරෙහිව යුද්ධ ප්‍රකාශ කරන්න වෙනවා ය! පොසම් කියන්නේ ඕස්ට්‍රේලියාවේ ඉන්න නිසාචර සතෙකි. හරියට ලංකාවේ වඳුරෝ වගේ උන්ගෙන් පලතුරු බේරගන්න බැරි ය. පොසම් එක්ක ඇයි හොඳයි කම් පටන් ගත්තේ ඉස්සර විශ්ව විද්‍යාල  යන කාලේ ඉඳන් ය. ඒ කාලේ මං හිටියේ තව කෙල්ලෝ දෙන්නෙක් එක්ක කාමර තුනේ ෆ්ලැට් එහෙක ය. ඒ ෆ්ලැට් එකේ නාන කාමරේ සිවිලිමට පොඩ්ඩක් යටින් ජනේලයක් විය. ඒ ජනේලේ fly-screen එකක් විය. එතන එළියේ පොඩි පඩියක් විය. අපි එතෙන්ට ගිය දවසේ ඉඳන් ජනේලේ ඇරලා ය. fly-screen එක තිබුණු නිසාත්, අපි හිටියේ උඩ තට්ටුවක නිසාත් අපි ඒ ජනේලේ වැසීම ගැන හිතුවේ නැත. ඔහොම ඉන්න අතරේ ඒ ඇරුණු ජනෙල් පියන සහ fly-screen එක අතර හිඩැසට තව පදිංචිකාරයෙක් ආවේය. ඌ ඇවිල්ලා පොසම් සතෙකි. සමහර විට ඌ ට අතේ ඇති ගානට කුලියට තැනක් හොයා ගන්න බැරි වෙන්න ඇති ය. එහෙම හිතලා අපි අපේ පාඩුවේ නාන කාමරේ වැඩ කටයුතු

Bluetooth support on Android Emulator

I have been playing around with Android lately, and one thing that annoyed me is the emulator does not support Bluetooth (as opposed to J2ME emulator, which does). So if you do not have an actual Android device (like me), and you want to do Bluetooth/WiFi programming, you run in to a problem. Fortunately, there is a way out - Install the Android image on a VM and use your own Bluetooth device. This is what I did: Download Androidx86 from http://www.android-x86.org/ . This is an .iso file, so you'd need something like VMWare or VirtualBox to run it. Me, I use VirtualBox. When creating the virtual machine, you need to set the type of guest OS as Linux instead of Other. After creating the virtual machine, set the network adapter to 'Bridged'. Start the VM and select 'Live CD VESA' at boot. Now you need to find out the ip of this VM. Go to terminal in VM (use Alt+F1 & Alt+F7 to toggle) and use the netcfg command to find this. Now you need open a command

පර්යේෂණ සහ ආචාර ධර්ම අවසරය

පසුගිය සති කීපයකම නිරත වෙලා හිටිය වැඩක ප්‍රතිපල ඊයේ ලැබුණා. ඒ මගේ පර්යේෂණය සඳහා ඕනෑ උන 'ආචාර ධර්ම අවසරය' නැත්නම් ethics clearence එක ලැබීමයි. මගේ පර්යේෂණය මුලික වශයෙන් පරිගණක විද්‍යාව සහ මෘදුකාංග ඉංජිනේරු විෂයන් වලින් කෙරුනත්, මිනිසුන් ද සහභාගී කරවාගෙන කෙරෙන කොටසක් ඇති නිසා තමා මෙහෙම අවසරයක් ගන්ඩ උනේ. ටිකක් පැහැදිලි කරොත්, මේ පර්යේෂණයේ ප්‍රථිපලයක් වන මෘදුකාංග පද්ධතිය නිවැරදිව වැඩ කරනවාද නැද්ද කියන එක තහවුරු කරන්න එක විද්‍යාගාරයක කරලා බලල මදි (සහ කරන්න අමාරුයි). 'හැබෑ ලෝකයේ' එය වැඩ කරන හැටි බලන්ඩ ඕනේ. මගේ පර්යේෂණය 'ස්මාර්ට් තාක්ෂනය' නැත්නම්, කෘතිම බුද්ධිය සහිත ගෘහස්ත පද්ධතියක් (smart home) සම්බන්ධයෙන්. වෙනත් මෘදුකාංග වලට වඩා මේ වගේ පද්ධතියක් හදන කොට ගොඩක්ම සැලකිලිමත් වෙන්න ඕනේ මිනිස්සු මෙහෙම තාක්ෂනෙකට කොහොම ප්‍රතිචාර දක්වයිද කියලා.  හිතන්න, ඔයාලගේ ගෙදරත් කෘතිම බුද්ධියක් නැත්නම් 'ස්මාර්ට්' පද්ධතියක් හයි කරලා කියලා. මේ වගේ පද්ධති වල අරමුණ මිනිසුන්ගේ ජීවිතය පහසු කරන එක. උදාහරණයකට ඔන්න ඔයාගේ 'බුද්ධිමත් ගෙදර' ලව්වා ඔයාට පුළුවන් වෙලාවට ලයිට් දාන