Skip to main content

The ‘throw nothing away’ syndrome


I have this family wedding coming up next week. I thought I should probably check out some things – such as do I have hairspray/powder/lip gloss, does my blow drier work, etc in advance… So I rummaged in my room – went through my cupboard and dresser.


Now I'm not one of those squeaky clean maniac girls who insist in dusting and rearranging their rooms all the time. Which basically boils down to the fact that there are probably many things in my room that have not been in human contact for quite some time…

Still, even I was quite surprised at the things that turned up in my dresser! Some were items that I had given up as lost – some things that I didn't even know I had – and some..were frankly quite mysterious!

First things first. I found out that I do in fact have hairspray. Ditto on lip gloss – but I'm not sure it's the right colour for my dress. I did have lots left in the powder compact but sadly past its expiry date L Blow drier still in prime condition though.

Among lots of safety pins and broken earrings, I found the following inside:

  • 1 very old and discoloured candle (??)

  • 3 swimming caps ( 1 blue, 1 green, 1 blue and green. why on earth I bought 3 is beyond my imagination. Possibly kept buying new ones because I couldn't find the ones I bought before? Hmm)

  • 3 house badges and 1 pahana (Finally found them! Was wondering where those had disappeared. Now if I can just find where I put my tie…)

  • 1 old hello kitty wallet (this one even had an old library fine receipt in it, but unfortunately no amount of money)

  • 1 rusted math compass (why do I keep these things??)

  • 1 mosquito repellant (it still has 5 more months till expiring! Yay!)

  • 3 floppy disks (remember floppies people? These must be from the 1st year at uni when I used to take a bottle of surgical spirit and a cotton swab with the floppies. I would clean the floppy with the spirit if the drive couldn't read it and it actually worked 75% of the time)

  • 1 letter from a pen pal (Lost contact with her like a decade ago..Must have put it here after randomly reading it)

So there. I'm actually delighted with some of my findings (letter and the school badges for instance) while certain items make me suspect if I have inherited my mother's 'throw nothing away' syndrome. Can this have anything to do with 'delete nothing and backup all source code' syndrome do you think? Hmm…

Reminds me of a certain uni projects where we used to save the source in folders labeled 'version1', 'version2' ..etc. In the end we had 'FinalVersion' folder…and then we had 'Final2' and 'Final3'…and then..'FinalFinal' :D Then we got tired of 'Final' and we had 'Anthima1', 'Anthima2' and on and on…

Comments

  1. Lolzz.. Even I have experienced such discoveries while cleaning my room and cupboards..eww.. but I didnt c ma house batches for long... dont know where I have kept those...:-/

    ReplyDelete
  2. You a Visakian?

    Good god !

    Malee.. keep you damn mouth shut even if she does ask why am I asking you to keep you mouth shut about this Visakian question

    lolzzzzz....

    ReplyDelete
  3. @malee
    hehe yep what treasures lurk under years of dust eh? Ohh and why do certain ppl tell you to keep your mouth shut??

    @Nash
    ohhh whaayy? Did you get beaten up by one when you were little? :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hik hik..! No comments + No reply...!!!LMAOROTF

    ReplyDelete
  5. @malee

    Good... keep it that way or I will kick your ass.

    @Niroshanie

    If you are a Visakian.. and did your A's in 2002...

    and ESPECIALLY if 1996, July 13th Mt. Lavinia beach means anything to you.

    Just let tell me YES or NO

    If that date doesn't mean anything to you.. I will be still your friend (or.. still read your blog)

    IF the answer is Yes..

    I am going to RUN like hell and hide in some dark basement where you can't find me !

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Nash_Node
    Ohhh this sounds very promising!
    YES I did A's in 2002
    However NO I can't remember anything abt that date in '96!
    u can come out of that basement now :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Phewwwww...... thank god.

    I am saved !

    The reason is pretty simple actually.

    1996, July 13th ... was the day when I first kissed a girl Named Niroshanie in the Mount beach.. and she made me promise that I will marry her one day if she were to let me kiss her !

    She was a Visakin.. Played Badminton for the team.. and at last I heard of her.. she was trying to migrate to Ausi.. although I have no idea of her whereabouts now.. (that was some loooong time ago)

    I was telling Malee about this about 2 months ago saying that your pic looked like her a bit... and was wondering what was your school.

    With this post.. Malee basically jumped with excitement and said "this is going to be a great love story if that is really her..."... lolzzzzz.. that's why I asked her to keep her mouth shut.

    Anyways.. now it's not fair to say you are the one.. or to demand that I should keep my promise. A 12 year promise is now null and void. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Malee & Nash_node
    Ohh you two!! Wrong Niroshinie! ROTFL

    BTW 'A 12 year promise is now null and void'? Geez what r u a lawyer?? A promise is a promise Nash_node.. you're lucky shes not me :P

    And anyway my name's niroshInie. I not A. Your gal was niroshAnie :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. "And anyway my name's niroshInie. I not A. Your gal was niroshAnie :P"

    sounds like U know her ....if so dear do u have her contact details with u? :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Niroshinie

    Lolz, yeah.. I am a lawyer :P

    Btw., may be it's the way I spelled the name though it does pronounce the same !

    Btw, Blue and Yellow house badge?? Jayathilaka isn't it?

    I think the one I was referring to was Dose !

    @Malee

    Oh.. just shut the fu_K up will ya... without trying to put me in trouble !.. retard ! lolzz

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Malee & Nash:
    sorry Malee I don't remember any one else named Niroshinie in my grade..shes probably like 1 year senior. that wud be the born in '82 batch.
    Yes Nash u're right abt the house. If she was Dawes she wore green and yellow :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pervert පොසම් සහ හොර පොසම්

ඔස්ට්‍රේලියාවට වසන්ත ඍතුව එළෙඹෙන කාලය යි මේ. අපේ ගෙවත්තේ පිටුපස පීච් ගහම රෝස පාට මල්වලින් පිරිලා. හරියට මේ වගේ .... (img  commons.wikimedia.org ) තව පහු වෙනකොට ඔය පීච් ගහේ ගෙඩි එනවා ය. ඊට පස්සේ එව්වා අපිට රස බලන්න නම් හොර පොසම්ලා ට එරෙහිව යුද්ධ ප්‍රකාශ කරන්න වෙනවා ය! පොසම් කියන්නේ ඕස්ට්‍රේලියාවේ ඉන්න නිසාචර සතෙකි. හරියට ලංකාවේ වඳුරෝ වගේ උන්ගෙන් පලතුරු බේරගන්න බැරි ය. පොසම් එක්ක ඇයි හොඳයි කම් පටන් ගත්තේ ඉස්සර විශ්ව විද්‍යාල  යන කාලේ ඉඳන් ය. ඒ කාලේ මං හිටියේ තව කෙල්ලෝ දෙන්නෙක් එක්ක කාමර තුනේ ෆ්ලැට් එහෙක ය. ඒ ෆ්ලැට් එකේ නාන කාමරේ සිවිලිමට පොඩ්ඩක් යටින් ජනේලයක් විය. ඒ ජනේලේ fly-screen එකක් විය. එතන එළියේ පොඩි පඩියක් විය. අපි එතෙන්ට ගිය දවසේ ඉඳන් ජනේලේ ඇරලා ය. fly-screen එක තිබුණු නිසාත්, අපි හිටියේ උඩ තට්ටුවක නිසාත් අපි ඒ ජනේලේ වැසීම ගැන හිතුවේ නැත. ඔහොම ඉන්න අතරේ ඒ ඇරුණු ජනෙල් පියන සහ fly-screen එක අතර හිඩැසට තව පදිංචිකාරයෙක් ආවේය. ඌ ඇවිල්ලා පොසම් සතෙකි. සමහර විට ඌ ට අතේ ඇති ගානට කුලියට තැනක් හොයා ගන්න බැරි වෙන්න ඇති ය. එහෙම හිතලා අපි අපේ පාඩුවේ නාන කාමරේ වැඩ කටයුතු

Bluetooth support on Android Emulator

I have been playing around with Android lately, and one thing that annoyed me is the emulator does not support Bluetooth (as opposed to J2ME emulator, which does). So if you do not have an actual Android device (like me), and you want to do Bluetooth/WiFi programming, you run in to a problem. Fortunately, there is a way out - Install the Android image on a VM and use your own Bluetooth device. This is what I did: Download Androidx86 from http://www.android-x86.org/ . This is an .iso file, so you'd need something like VMWare or VirtualBox to run it. Me, I use VirtualBox. When creating the virtual machine, you need to set the type of guest OS as Linux instead of Other. After creating the virtual machine, set the network adapter to 'Bridged'. Start the VM and select 'Live CD VESA' at boot. Now you need to find out the ip of this VM. Go to terminal in VM (use Alt+F1 & Alt+F7 to toggle) and use the netcfg command to find this. Now you need open a command

පර්යේෂණ සහ ආචාර ධර්ම අවසරය

පසුගිය සති කීපයකම නිරත වෙලා හිටිය වැඩක ප්‍රතිපල ඊයේ ලැබුණා. ඒ මගේ පර්යේෂණය සඳහා ඕනෑ උන 'ආචාර ධර්ම අවසරය' නැත්නම් ethics clearence එක ලැබීමයි. මගේ පර්යේෂණය මුලික වශයෙන් පරිගණක විද්‍යාව සහ මෘදුකාංග ඉංජිනේරු විෂයන් වලින් කෙරුනත්, මිනිසුන් ද සහභාගී කරවාගෙන කෙරෙන කොටසක් ඇති නිසා තමා මෙහෙම අවසරයක් ගන්ඩ උනේ. ටිකක් පැහැදිලි කරොත්, මේ පර්යේෂණයේ ප්‍රථිපලයක් වන මෘදුකාංග පද්ධතිය නිවැරදිව වැඩ කරනවාද නැද්ද කියන එක තහවුරු කරන්න එක විද්‍යාගාරයක කරලා බලල මදි (සහ කරන්න අමාරුයි). 'හැබෑ ලෝකයේ' එය වැඩ කරන හැටි බලන්ඩ ඕනේ. මගේ පර්යේෂණය 'ස්මාර්ට් තාක්ෂනය' නැත්නම්, කෘතිම බුද්ධිය සහිත ගෘහස්ත පද්ධතියක් (smart home) සම්බන්ධයෙන්. වෙනත් මෘදුකාංග වලට වඩා මේ වගේ පද්ධතියක් හදන කොට ගොඩක්ම සැලකිලිමත් වෙන්න ඕනේ මිනිස්සු මෙහෙම තාක්ෂනෙකට කොහොම ප්‍රතිචාර දක්වයිද කියලා.  හිතන්න, ඔයාලගේ ගෙදරත් කෘතිම බුද්ධියක් නැත්නම් 'ස්මාර්ට්' පද්ධතියක් හයි කරලා කියලා. මේ වගේ පද්ධති වල අරමුණ මිනිසුන්ගේ ජීවිතය පහසු කරන එක. උදාහරණයකට ඔන්න ඔයාගේ 'බුද්ධිමත් ගෙදර' ලව්වා ඔයාට පුළුවන් වෙලාවට ලයිට් දාන