Skip to main content

Winds of change

From as long as I can remember, there was a war in the North.
I recall the earliest awareness in 2nd grade - I forget what subject we were being taught - it was probably Social studies (we called it Parisaraya) and a someone wanted to know who the 'Tigers' were and why they were in a war with us. The teacher (I remember she was a plump and motherly dear) said the 'Tigers' were some very bad people who wanted a piece of our country for themselves. And all of us were completely outraged - as much as it was possible for 6 year old little girls to be outraged - that the teacher had to slap her desk to call for silence.

As we grew up, our generation sort of learned to overlook the war.
It was always there. It was like an incurable sickness that was growing inside us for so long that we did not know what it would be like to be cured.
Indeed most of the time, we did not believe it would ever be cured.

Terrorists became a part of our lives.
I remember hearing the bomb blast in Central bank and seeing the black smoke writhe up to the sky like some hideous snake in '96. We experienced so many terrorist attacks in later years that I have lost count.
Our schools became barricades. At one time we could only take transparent plastic bags to school. Even then we had to go through security checks at the entrance.

We lived under a cloud of fear. We learned to doubt the sincerity of our brothers and sisters as we forgot to stand straight in pride.
We lost loved ones. We lost so many things.

But now ...
For the first time in my life, I don't have to wonder wistfully what it must be like to visit the North.
I don't have to wonder if there is room enough on my little isle to be broken off to pieces.

I feel as if something heavy has been lifted off my heart. I think I can feel something softly brushing my face and rustle my hair.

I think those are the winds of change... I hope so.

Comments

  1. Time to welcome the winds of change with open arms. :) Hopefully it is brining good fortune for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Sachintha
    Thanks! Just wrote what I felt :)

    @Azrael
    Yes indeed! Lets hope they bring change for better...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only thing I said to my self the next day I woke up was

    "damn ! ... for the first time in my life.... I woke up in a free country"

    But winds of change have to be hard earned, for 3 generations of us have grown up hating the war (or the Tamils though we do not except because it's politically incorrect) and wise verse they (the Tamils) also hate us.

    The bottom line is, we don't like them and they don't like us ! .. and the bottom question is... How long is it going to take to restore that trust we had 30 years ago?

    I am guessing another 50 years till our 3 generations dies off and a whole new set of young blood takes over where they "ONLY" read in books that there was a war !

    and let's hope those BOOKS will be politically correct than that of what we have in our hearts and minds right now !

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Nash Node
    I don't hate Tamils. I really dont have a problem with a person's race. I know quite a few Tamils and they're really beautiful people..
    What I REALLY hate is the LTTE and what they stood for. And what they made us into.

    But then I know most Sinhalese have a trust issue with them (Tamils). Most of my friends do. Almost all of my parents generation do.

    Yeah it's sure to take time. But I hope it takes less than 50 years. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! Think this is the greatest opprtunity we had for last 30 years to build a better country for our future generation!

    BTW I have Tagged you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pervert පොසම් සහ හොර පොසම්

ඔස්ට්‍රේලියාවට වසන්ත ඍතුව එළෙඹෙන කාලය යි මේ. අපේ ගෙවත්තේ පිටුපස පීච් ගහම රෝස පාට මල්වලින් පිරිලා. හරියට මේ වගේ .... (img  commons.wikimedia.org ) තව පහු වෙනකොට ඔය පීච් ගහේ ගෙඩි එනවා ය. ඊට පස්සේ එව්වා අපිට රස බලන්න නම් හොර පොසම්ලා ට එරෙහිව යුද්ධ ප්‍රකාශ කරන්න වෙනවා ය! පොසම් කියන්නේ ඕස්ට්‍රේලියාවේ ඉන්න නිසාචර සතෙකි. හරියට ලංකාවේ වඳුරෝ වගේ උන්ගෙන් පලතුරු බේරගන්න බැරි ය. පොසම් එක්ක ඇයි හොඳයි කම් පටන් ගත්තේ ඉස්සර විශ්ව විද්‍යාල  යන කාලේ ඉඳන් ය. ඒ කාලේ මං හිටියේ තව කෙල්ලෝ දෙන්නෙක් එක්ක කාමර තුනේ ෆ්ලැට් එහෙක ය. ඒ ෆ්ලැට් එකේ නාන කාමරේ සිවිලිමට පොඩ්ඩක් යටින් ජනේලයක් විය. ඒ ජනේලේ fly-screen එකක් විය. එතන එළියේ පොඩි පඩියක් විය. අපි එතෙන්ට ගිය දවසේ ඉඳන් ජනේලේ ඇරලා ය. fly-screen එක තිබුණු නිසාත්, අපි හිටියේ උඩ තට්ටුවක නිසාත් අපි ඒ ජනේලේ වැසීම ගැන හිතුවේ නැත. ඔහොම ඉන්න අතරේ ඒ ඇරුණු ජනෙල් පියන සහ fly-screen එක අතර හිඩැසට තව පදිංචිකාරයෙක් ආවේය. ඌ ඇවිල්ලා පොසම් සතෙකි. සමහර විට ඌ ට අතේ ඇති ගානට කුලියට තැනක් හොයා ගන්න බැරි වෙන්න ඇති ය. එහෙම හිතලා අපි අපේ පාඩුවේ නාන කාමරේ වැඩ කටයුතු

Bluetooth support on Android Emulator

I have been playing around with Android lately, and one thing that annoyed me is the emulator does not support Bluetooth (as opposed to J2ME emulator, which does). So if you do not have an actual Android device (like me), and you want to do Bluetooth/WiFi programming, you run in to a problem. Fortunately, there is a way out - Install the Android image on a VM and use your own Bluetooth device. This is what I did: Download Androidx86 from http://www.android-x86.org/ . This is an .iso file, so you'd need something like VMWare or VirtualBox to run it. Me, I use VirtualBox. When creating the virtual machine, you need to set the type of guest OS as Linux instead of Other. After creating the virtual machine, set the network adapter to 'Bridged'. Start the VM and select 'Live CD VESA' at boot. Now you need to find out the ip of this VM. Go to terminal in VM (use Alt+F1 & Alt+F7 to toggle) and use the netcfg command to find this. Now you need open a command

පර්යේෂණ සහ ආචාර ධර්ම අවසරය

පසුගිය සති කීපයකම නිරත වෙලා හිටිය වැඩක ප්‍රතිපල ඊයේ ලැබුණා. ඒ මගේ පර්යේෂණය සඳහා ඕනෑ උන 'ආචාර ධර්ම අවසරය' නැත්නම් ethics clearence එක ලැබීමයි. මගේ පර්යේෂණය මුලික වශයෙන් පරිගණක විද්‍යාව සහ මෘදුකාංග ඉංජිනේරු විෂයන් වලින් කෙරුනත්, මිනිසුන් ද සහභාගී කරවාගෙන කෙරෙන කොටසක් ඇති නිසා තමා මෙහෙම අවසරයක් ගන්ඩ උනේ. ටිකක් පැහැදිලි කරොත්, මේ පර්යේෂණයේ ප්‍රථිපලයක් වන මෘදුකාංග පද්ධතිය නිවැරදිව වැඩ කරනවාද නැද්ද කියන එක තහවුරු කරන්න එක විද්‍යාගාරයක කරලා බලල මදි (සහ කරන්න අමාරුයි). 'හැබෑ ලෝකයේ' එය වැඩ කරන හැටි බලන්ඩ ඕනේ. මගේ පර්යේෂණය 'ස්මාර්ට් තාක්ෂනය' නැත්නම්, කෘතිම බුද්ධිය සහිත ගෘහස්ත පද්ධතියක් (smart home) සම්බන්ධයෙන්. වෙනත් මෘදුකාංග වලට වඩා මේ වගේ පද්ධතියක් හදන කොට ගොඩක්ම සැලකිලිමත් වෙන්න ඕනේ මිනිස්සු මෙහෙම තාක්ෂනෙකට කොහොම ප්‍රතිචාර දක්වයිද කියලා.  හිතන්න, ඔයාලගේ ගෙදරත් කෘතිම බුද්ධියක් නැත්නම් 'ස්මාර්ට්' පද්ධතියක් හයි කරලා කියලා. මේ වගේ පද්ධති වල අරමුණ මිනිසුන්ගේ ජීවිතය පහසු කරන එක. උදාහරණයකට ඔන්න ඔයාගේ 'බුද්ධිමත් ගෙදර' ලව්වා ඔයාට පුළුවන් වෙලාවට ලයිට් දාන