Skip to main content

Perspective

I wait in the medical centre while gently holding my injured right hand with my left.
The paramedic had wrapped it in gauze the night before, after applying Burn Aid. I could see that he feels pretty bad for me when he sees the scalding.
"you're right handed aren't you?" He had asked pityingly.

At last they call my name, and I am in the nurses' room with a doctor. The nurse is a cheery motherly hen type with a sort of handyman's kit on her hip. She says she got it as a present on Mothers day and use it to keep things like scissors and tape, since they always seem to go missing.
The doctor and nurse chatter on while the nurse cuts open my dressing and proceeds to soak the gauze in saline.
I sit glumly staring at my hand, feeling sorry for myself and a little put off by the jovial chatter.
"I didn't see you for a few months. Were you away?" asks the doctor as the nurse gingerly removes the last piece of gauze.
I peek at my poor hand apprehensively. It had looked a sickening angry pink the night before and just seeing it had made me nauseous and made my head spin.
"Oh yes I was not here...I had brain cancer" says the nurse.

Wait...what?
She says it as casually as if she had gone to Bali for a fortnight.

She says she was diagnosed but is OK now after undergoing treatment.

**********************************************************************

Outside the nurses room, I am waiting for my ride.
My very kind flatmate had offered to drive me to and from the clinic, on account of my right hand not exactly operating in full swing at at the moment.

Suddenly, a blond girl - who from the uniform seems to be someone working at the medical clinic- hurriedly walks to the elderly Indian woman standing by the ladies toilet.
"You have to take her to a hospital now!" the girl says, emphasizing on the now.

Immediately, mental picture pops into my head, of an old woman on a stretcher, too sick to move. The elderly woman's sister perhaps?

The toilet door opens, and a young Indian woman who could have been my age steps out.
"Take her to a hospital now!" the blond repeats.
The young Indian woman looks pale.
"Is it a miscarriage?" she asks, in a voice that is tired and heartbreakingly sad.
The blond girl hesitates.
Then she reaches for the young woman and squeezes her shoulder gently. Then she nods.
"I think so" she says.


**********************************************************************






Comments

  1. Have you heard the term, "first world problems"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess thats what a second degree burn is, compared to the other two :)

      Delete
  2. Everything is relative, There could be times, a second degree burn is the one that needs most attention. I am OK as long as they are put into perspective and treated accordingly.

    As a piece of writing, I would have preferred, if you didn't write the last sentence. The story already give that message to the reader :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. //As a piece of writing, I would have preferred, if you didn't write the last sentence. The story already give that message to the reader :)

      Yes agree. I also debated whether to put that or not, since I wasn't sure if readers will get it. After reading your comment, decided to remove it. Thanks for the input :)

      Delete
  3. "We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses!"

    Abraham Lincoln

    ReplyDelete
  4. Waiting rooms are funny place....waiting for what? Bad news? For a miracle ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. indeed... I had to go to the doctor for my burn every three days or so for a fortnight. It was great for people watching :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pervert පොසම් සහ හොර පොසම්

ඔස්ට්‍රේලියාවට වසන්ත ඍතුව එළෙඹෙන කාලය යි මේ. අපේ ගෙවත්තේ පිටුපස පීච් ගහම රෝස පාට මල්වලින් පිරිලා. හරියට මේ වගේ .... (img  commons.wikimedia.org ) තව පහු වෙනකොට ඔය පීච් ගහේ ගෙඩි එනවා ය. ඊට පස්සේ එව්වා අපිට රස බලන්න නම් හොර පොසම්ලා ට එරෙහිව යුද්ධ ප්‍රකාශ කරන්න වෙනවා ය! පොසම් කියන්නේ ඕස්ට්‍රේලියාවේ ඉන්න නිසාචර සතෙකි. හරියට ලංකාවේ වඳුරෝ වගේ උන්ගෙන් පලතුරු බේරගන්න බැරි ය. පොසම් එක්ක ඇයි හොඳයි කම් පටන් ගත්තේ ඉස්සර විශ්ව විද්‍යාල  යන කාලේ ඉඳන් ය. ඒ කාලේ මං හිටියේ තව කෙල්ලෝ දෙන්නෙක් එක්ක කාමර තුනේ ෆ්ලැට් එහෙක ය. ඒ ෆ්ලැට් එකේ නාන කාමරේ සිවිලිමට පොඩ්ඩක් යටින් ජනේලයක් විය. ඒ ජනේලේ fly-screen එකක් විය. එතන එළියේ පොඩි පඩියක් විය. අපි එතෙන්ට ගිය දවසේ ඉඳන් ජනේලේ ඇරලා ය. fly-screen එක තිබුණු නිසාත්, අපි හිටියේ උඩ තට්ටුවක නිසාත් අපි ඒ ජනේලේ වැසීම ගැන හිතුවේ නැත. ඔහොම ඉන්න අතරේ ඒ ඇරුණු ජනෙල් පියන සහ fly-screen එක අතර හිඩැසට තව පදිංචිකාරයෙක් ආවේය. ඌ ඇවිල්ලා පොසම් සතෙකි. සමහර විට ඌ ට අතේ ඇති ගානට කුලියට තැනක් හොයා ගන්න බැරි වෙන්න ඇති ය. එහෙම හිතලා අපි අපේ පාඩුවේ නාන කාමරේ වැඩ කටයුතු

Bluetooth support on Android Emulator

I have been playing around with Android lately, and one thing that annoyed me is the emulator does not support Bluetooth (as opposed to J2ME emulator, which does). So if you do not have an actual Android device (like me), and you want to do Bluetooth/WiFi programming, you run in to a problem. Fortunately, there is a way out - Install the Android image on a VM and use your own Bluetooth device. This is what I did: Download Androidx86 from http://www.android-x86.org/ . This is an .iso file, so you'd need something like VMWare or VirtualBox to run it. Me, I use VirtualBox. When creating the virtual machine, you need to set the type of guest OS as Linux instead of Other. After creating the virtual machine, set the network adapter to 'Bridged'. Start the VM and select 'Live CD VESA' at boot. Now you need to find out the ip of this VM. Go to terminal in VM (use Alt+F1 & Alt+F7 to toggle) and use the netcfg command to find this. Now you need open a command

පර්යේෂණ සහ ආචාර ධර්ම අවසරය

පසුගිය සති කීපයකම නිරත වෙලා හිටිය වැඩක ප්‍රතිපල ඊයේ ලැබුණා. ඒ මගේ පර්යේෂණය සඳහා ඕනෑ උන 'ආචාර ධර්ම අවසරය' නැත්නම් ethics clearence එක ලැබීමයි. මගේ පර්යේෂණය මුලික වශයෙන් පරිගණක විද්‍යාව සහ මෘදුකාංග ඉංජිනේරු විෂයන් වලින් කෙරුනත්, මිනිසුන් ද සහභාගී කරවාගෙන කෙරෙන කොටසක් ඇති නිසා තමා මෙහෙම අවසරයක් ගන්ඩ උනේ. ටිකක් පැහැදිලි කරොත්, මේ පර්යේෂණයේ ප්‍රථිපලයක් වන මෘදුකාංග පද්ධතිය නිවැරදිව වැඩ කරනවාද නැද්ද කියන එක තහවුරු කරන්න එක විද්‍යාගාරයක කරලා බලල මදි (සහ කරන්න අමාරුයි). 'හැබෑ ලෝකයේ' එය වැඩ කරන හැටි බලන්ඩ ඕනේ. මගේ පර්යේෂණය 'ස්මාර්ට් තාක්ෂනය' නැත්නම්, කෘතිම බුද්ධිය සහිත ගෘහස්ත පද්ධතියක් (smart home) සම්බන්ධයෙන්. වෙනත් මෘදුකාංග වලට වඩා මේ වගේ පද්ධතියක් හදන කොට ගොඩක්ම සැලකිලිමත් වෙන්න ඕනේ මිනිස්සු මෙහෙම තාක්ෂනෙකට කොහොම ප්‍රතිචාර දක්වයිද කියලා.  හිතන්න, ඔයාලගේ ගෙදරත් කෘතිම බුද්ධියක් නැත්නම් 'ස්මාර්ට්' පද්ධතියක් හයි කරලා කියලා. මේ වගේ පද්ධති වල අරමුණ මිනිසුන්ගේ ජීවිතය පහසු කරන එක. උදාහරණයකට ඔන්න ඔයාගේ 'බුද්ධිමත් ගෙදර' ලව්වා ඔයාට පුළුවන් වෙලාවට ලයිට් දාන