Skip to main content

Of Chopsticks and Laptops

last week I was in HongKong! Well Singapore too, but mostly in HK. And the trip was great! By far my best vacation ever!
Sooo what can I say about HK?..Hmmm its a nice place...The people were friendly and it was soooo chinese!
OK I know HK belongs to China but I guess I was expecting something like Singapore which is very multi cultural. Supposedly it is winter in HK now but the weather never went below 22 - 24 degrees during my stay. Although everyone I saw were wearing jackets and sweaters and stuff..I was like 'Oh come on its not that cold' but later felt too self conscious to parade in the streets without wearing any warm clothes myself.
Ha ha

The food was...erm to be honest I skipped the local cuisine this time. I learned my lesson the last time I went to KL. So it was basically McDonalds and BurgerKing for me..Although I did try these small stuff called Dim Sums - which was OK.
And I can now eat with chopsticks! yay! I achieved this while in Disneyland. Well obviously my chopsticks etiquette isnt anything to talk about, but the important thing is that I can EAT stuff with them. Heh heh
And airline food...hmm the best one was on board Cathay en route to HK which was fish and potatoes with smoked salmon for salad. It was surprisingly yummy!
ooh and I got a new laptop. Am violently in love with it atm! Something so annoying happened while I was shopping for the lap though. This was in SimLim Square (Singapore). I was looking at this hp lap and asked this sales guy if hp has customer support in Sri Lanka. This is how the convo went :
Me : Does HP have customer support in Sri Lanka? Coz Im from Sri Lanka
Sales Guy : I think so. Lets check on their site.
* guy potters about on the net for a while *
Sales Guy : Excuse me, what is the name for india on the net?
Me : Huh??
Sales Guy : Name? last characters? is it 'in'?
Me : Ohh I dont know. Why?
Sales Guy : To check for support in Sri Lanka
Me : Oh then you need 'lk'. Why do you want the Indian site?
Sales Guy : Because India is Sri Lanka
Me : WHAT??? @###%##@

Aaanyway now Im back on my isle and going to work as usual..
*sigh*

Comments

  1. The guy must've failed geography in school...

    Anyways wish you a happy and prosperous new year

    cheers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks azrael! Happy new year to you too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hehehe, That was a funny convo. Talk about a sphere of influence. Are laptops really much cheaper in singapore?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pervert පොසම් සහ හොර පොසම්

ඔස්ට්‍රේලියාවට වසන්ත ඍතුව එළෙඹෙන කාලය යි මේ. අපේ ගෙවත්තේ පිටුපස පීච් ගහම රෝස පාට මල්වලින් පිරිලා. හරියට මේ වගේ .... (img  commons.wikimedia.org ) තව පහු වෙනකොට ඔය පීච් ගහේ ගෙඩි එනවා ය. ඊට පස්සේ එව්වා අපිට රස බලන්න නම් හොර පොසම්ලා ට එරෙහිව යුද්ධ ප්‍රකාශ කරන්න වෙනවා ය! පොසම් කියන්නේ ඕස්ට්‍රේලියාවේ ඉන්න නිසාචර සතෙකි. හරියට ලංකාවේ වඳුරෝ වගේ උන්ගෙන් පලතුරු බේරගන්න බැරි ය. පොසම් එක්ක ඇයි හොඳයි කම් පටන් ගත්තේ ඉස්සර විශ්ව විද්‍යාල  යන කාලේ ඉඳන් ය. ඒ කාලේ මං හිටියේ තව කෙල්ලෝ දෙන්නෙක් එක්ක කාමර තුනේ ෆ්ලැට් එහෙක ය. ඒ ෆ්ලැට් එකේ නාන කාමරේ සිවිලිමට පොඩ්ඩක් යටින් ජනේලයක් විය. ඒ ජනේලේ fly-screen එකක් විය. එතන එළියේ පොඩි පඩියක් විය. අපි එතෙන්ට ගිය දවසේ ඉඳන් ජනේලේ ඇරලා ය. fly-screen එක තිබුණු නිසාත්, අපි හිටියේ උඩ තට්ටුවක නිසාත් අපි ඒ ජනේලේ වැසීම ගැන හිතුවේ නැත. ඔහොම ඉන්න අතරේ ඒ ඇරුණු ජනෙල් පියන සහ fly-screen එක අතර හිඩැසට තව පදිංචිකාරයෙක් ආවේය. ඌ ඇවිල්ලා පොසම් සතෙකි. සමහර විට ඌ ට අතේ ඇති ගානට කුලියට තැනක් හොයා ගන්න බැරි වෙන්න ඇති ය. එහෙම හිතලා අපි අපේ පාඩුවේ නාන කාමරේ වැඩ කටයුතු

Bluetooth support on Android Emulator

I have been playing around with Android lately, and one thing that annoyed me is the emulator does not support Bluetooth (as opposed to J2ME emulator, which does). So if you do not have an actual Android device (like me), and you want to do Bluetooth/WiFi programming, you run in to a problem. Fortunately, there is a way out - Install the Android image on a VM and use your own Bluetooth device. This is what I did: Download Androidx86 from http://www.android-x86.org/ . This is an .iso file, so you'd need something like VMWare or VirtualBox to run it. Me, I use VirtualBox. When creating the virtual machine, you need to set the type of guest OS as Linux instead of Other. After creating the virtual machine, set the network adapter to 'Bridged'. Start the VM and select 'Live CD VESA' at boot. Now you need to find out the ip of this VM. Go to terminal in VM (use Alt+F1 & Alt+F7 to toggle) and use the netcfg command to find this. Now you need open a command

පර්යේෂණ සහ ආචාර ධර්ම අවසරය

පසුගිය සති කීපයකම නිරත වෙලා හිටිය වැඩක ප්‍රතිපල ඊයේ ලැබුණා. ඒ මගේ පර්යේෂණය සඳහා ඕනෑ උන 'ආචාර ධර්ම අවසරය' නැත්නම් ethics clearence එක ලැබීමයි. මගේ පර්යේෂණය මුලික වශයෙන් පරිගණක විද්‍යාව සහ මෘදුකාංග ඉංජිනේරු විෂයන් වලින් කෙරුනත්, මිනිසුන් ද සහභාගී කරවාගෙන කෙරෙන කොටසක් ඇති නිසා තමා මෙහෙම අවසරයක් ගන්ඩ උනේ. ටිකක් පැහැදිලි කරොත්, මේ පර්යේෂණයේ ප්‍රථිපලයක් වන මෘදුකාංග පද්ධතිය නිවැරදිව වැඩ කරනවාද නැද්ද කියන එක තහවුරු කරන්න එක විද්‍යාගාරයක කරලා බලල මදි (සහ කරන්න අමාරුයි). 'හැබෑ ලෝකයේ' එය වැඩ කරන හැටි බලන්ඩ ඕනේ. මගේ පර්යේෂණය 'ස්මාර්ට් තාක්ෂනය' නැත්නම්, කෘතිම බුද්ධිය සහිත ගෘහස්ත පද්ධතියක් (smart home) සම්බන්ධයෙන්. වෙනත් මෘදුකාංග වලට වඩා මේ වගේ පද්ධතියක් හදන කොට ගොඩක්ම සැලකිලිමත් වෙන්න ඕනේ මිනිස්සු මෙහෙම තාක්ෂනෙකට කොහොම ප්‍රතිචාර දක්වයිද කියලා.  හිතන්න, ඔයාලගේ ගෙදරත් කෘතිම බුද්ධියක් නැත්නම් 'ස්මාර්ට්' පද්ධතියක් හයි කරලා කියලා. මේ වගේ පද්ධති වල අරමුණ මිනිසුන්ගේ ජීවිතය පහසු කරන එක. උදාහරණයකට ඔන්න ඔයාගේ 'බුද්ධිමත් ගෙදර' ලව්වා ඔයාට පුළුවන් වෙලාවට ලයිට් දාන